Racing in altitude is rough. This past weekend I ventured up to the Iron Horse Cycling Classic in Durango, CO. First of all this town is one of the greatest towns to have a race in. The elevation in Durgano is right around 6500 feet. So trying to race at this altitude is tough if one is not used to but is still good to get in some good race training. I set out to beat my times in both the TT and RR from last year. I accomplished that goal.

The road race was going good until they started to attack near the top of shilona. my legs felt good i just couldn't seem to catch my breath and got popped. This seemed to be the story for the weekend. This happened in the crit also. There was no organization in the crit. Teams were attacking each other due to contracts being on the line for the rest of the season. Only four people finished on the lead lap.
As for the TT i had dan bowman was my 30 second man. Dan seemed to be a great guy. We chatted up about racing in MI and with the wolverine fellas. He caught me 10mins in to the TT. I wasnt even able to hold my normal power when doing a TT. When i got near my normal TT power I'd start to be almost hyperventilating. It was one the most frustating TT Ive done.
The racing was great and learned lots even if I didn't do what i hoped for in result wise. I'll try to post more pictures later(the one up now are from the durango herald).
I'd also like to thank my new "sponsors" the grants for allowing me to crash on their super secret training spot.

1 comment:
Sponsorship ain't free...you'll pull for me in this year's Ore to Shore!!
Post a Comment